Emacs NEWBIE question about gnus config files

From: d2e2
Subject: Emacs NEWBIE question about gnus config files
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 20:41:30 -0700 (PDT)

I just set up gnus to read and post to usenet groups. I've created a file
called .authinfo with the server name, user name, and password info and
finished the line with force yes. Now when I start gnus I expect the app to
read the file but it does not seem to be doing so. Must I point the app to
it somehow in another startup file, if so which one?

Thanks for looking in.