Re: [OT] Reading Emacs Tutorials

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: [OT] Reading Emacs Tutorials
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 17:40:06 -0600

Lennart Borgman wrote:
On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 7:42 AM, Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr> wrote:
Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 10:21 PM, Ronnie Collinson
<notthinking@gmail.com> wrote:
Contribution and communication is always important for any community based
project. My further recommendiation would be to look at quite a few emacs
related blogs, they often have little tid-bits which ussually quite short.
Might be a good idea. I wonder what the best way to find them is. On
EmacsWiki there are a lot of users that links to their blogs. Maybe
that is a good way?
As you commented above, i'll do best study for me and emacs
family within that ways. Thank you for kind and valuable replies,
indeed..;;

One thing I forgot to mention is that learning Emacs on ms windows is
a bit more difficult because you might not have the external programs
needed for useful commands like rgrep etc. I have packed together a
distribution that includes those programs, see

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsW32

So if anyone reading this is using ms windows this might be a good way
to learn about Emacs. This might be a first step on the road to
GNU/Linux ...

Lennart,

Will your rgrep work with the standard Emacs w32 build? I have most of the gnuwin32 utilities but things like rgrep are just shell scripts like:

#!/bin/sh

exec grep -r "$@"

which I can make into ms batch files but then I don't know what to do with them. Would I be able to use your rgrep in my setup? Can it be stripped out of the Emacsw32 stuff? I got web-browser printing from you and that works fine.