Re: how is emacs lisp syntax colored in emacs-lisp-mode?

From: Nikolaj Schumacher
Subject: Re: how is emacs lisp syntax colored in emacs-lisp-mode?
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:41:59 +0100

Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 10, 1:06 pm, Nikolaj Schumacher <m...@nschum.de> wrote:
>
>> If you want to highlight symbols that are "shipped" with Emacs (to
>> whatever extend) you'll need to add a matcher function to the font lock
>> keywords that checks whether, and in which files, symbols have been defined
>
> doesn't anyone see this as a defect? namely, the fact that only parts
> of keywords are syntax colored in emacs-lisp-mode. This behavior is
> contrary to all other major modes.

What do you mean?
If I write printf in C-mode, it isn't colored, either.

printf isn't a keyword, it's a library function, just as "message"
is in elisp.  Why is it interesting to highlight functions that shipped
with Emacs, say erc-.*?

You use the word "keyword" as in font-lock-keywords, but please not that
the name has additional meanings.  In C, reserved words are named
keywords, in Emacs Lisp they are things like :foo and :bar.  To avoid
confusion, maybe you should call them symbols.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher