Re: Automatically scrolling message buffer.

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: Automatically scrolling message buffer.
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 16:33:50 +0200

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 12:32:03 +0100, Nikolaj Schumacher <me@nschum.de> wrote:
>Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
>> This might start becoming *very* annoying if you really want to scroll
>> upwards through a large *Messages* buffer.
>
> That's why I included:
> (not (equal window (selected-window)))

Ah, my apologies then.  I misunderstood what you were trying to do :)

>> A slightly less intrusive
>> way to do something similar would be to add a hook that fires up every
>> time you switch _to_ the *Messages* buffer.
>
> But that's not what I want.  I wanted to observe messages as they occur.

This is a good idea for watching other sorts of non-selected windows
too.  Is there any chance we can convince you to write a minor mode that
can be enabled on visible but not active windows and fires up a timer
after a tunable interval?

This way we could, for example, enable `auto-scroll-minor-mode' on a
buffer, and let it take over.  The `auto-scroll-minor-mode' could
consult a buffer-local variable like `auto-scroll-timeout' every time it
is enabled and set up a timer that would scroll the specific buffer.

That would be very useful for other things too, i.e. watching log files :)