Re: Sunrise Commander: Version 3 released.

From: rustom
Subject: Re: Sunrise Commander: Version 3 released.
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 05:26:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 18, 2:42 pm, escherdra...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 18, 9:57 am, rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> (...)
>

> > This makes the command `op file' behave like double click in eshell
>
> > So then I need to redefine dired-find-file thus:
>
> > (defun dired-find-file ()
> >   (interactive)
> >   (eshell/op (dired-get-file-for-visit))
> >  )
>
> > So some questions:
> > How do you put such a redefinition on a hook? (Needs to be defuned
> > after dired is require-d)
> > It needs to be more sophisticated: eg this way hitting return on a
> > directory opens windows explorer but it should probably open another
> > dired.  More generally all the emacs-ish should stay in emacs with the
> > w32-shell-execute only used as a catch-all for files that emacs cant/
> > shouldnt handle.
>
> Oh, once again I forgot point 0.5 :)
>
> 0.5) Get and install Markus Triska's openwith -- it will allow to open
> your files using external programs based on file extension. It can be
> found in the Emacs Wiki:http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OpenWith
>
> Isn't this solution good enough? I find it fantastic, but to be honest
> I haven't tried it on Windows.

Does not work on windows.

> Another possibility for you rodent lovers ;-) would be to give dired-
> dd (http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~pi9s-nnb/dired-dd-home.html) a try.

Actually I am quite rodent-allergic.
The problem is that windows keeps a helluva lot of info in the
registry and a program that does not use it effectively (aka vanilla
emacs) is not well clued in.  The w32-shell-execute open... at least
allows to do 'the right' thing on a given file.