Re: Spellcheck against multiple dictionaries?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Spellcheck against multiple dictionaries?
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:17:05 +0100

I've downloaded speck.el file, but I'm not sure how do I use it.

I've created a test file containing mixed correct and incorrect words,
in Russian and English:

Test тест correct очепятка incorect верно

Then I've done M-x speck-mode. Emacs said that Speck-mode has been
activated and is using ru_RU dictionary, but nothing has changed in
the test buffer. From your description I was expecting that the
incorrect words would be highlighted somehow. Am I missing something?

I don't have a Russian spell-checking engine installed so I can't
comment your example directly.  Suppose I have a file with the line

Test Test correct Duckfehler incorect richtig

Doing M-x speck-mode here starts an Aspell process checking with my
default language which is English, flagging the last three words as
incorrect.  I can now set the region around the word "Duckfehler" and
type C-2 C-? to set the speck language text property of that word to
German, which will still flag the word as incorrect but now with the
appropriate German suggestions how to correct it.

I think that the ispell-ish behavior would indeed be nice. I've looked
through the ispell code, and it looks like Emacs raises some kind of
exception if the ispell process returns "invalid" status. Do you think
it is possible to fallback to another dictionary on such an event?

With my Aspell engine I can write (and bind) a trivial command like

(defun ispell-check-word (arg)
  (interactive "p")
  (if (= arg 2)
      (ispell-change-dictionary "de_DE")
    (ispell-change-dictionary "en_US"))
  (ispell-word))

here and probably get what you want.  Note, however, that each time you
change the language with this command, Emacs kills an old and spawns a
new process of the Aspell engine.

Changing `ispell-word' as you say seems hardly possible because in
general there's no way to distinguish a word written incorrectly in
language A from a word written correctly in language B.  For the special
English/Russian case you could probably investigate the character
properties at `point' and spark the appropriate word-checking process.

martin