Re: Emacs yanking my frames all over the desktop

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Emacs yanking my frames all over the desktop
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 21:46:32 +1100

Michael Ekstrand <michael@elehack.net> writes:

> I am running Emacs 23 (pretest on one machine, Debian snapshot packages
> on another) with the GTK+ GUI under XFCE 4.4 and suffer from some rather
> annoying behavior with regards to raising frames.
>
> When a frame is raised, Emacs is not content to raise that frame to the
> top and give it the focus if possible.  If the frame is on a different
> virtual workspace from the one I am currently viewing, it moves the
> frame to the current workspace.  When I have different frames for
> (primarily) different purposes laid out on workspaces where I want them,
> it is frustrating to have Emacs destroy that by moving them around.
> I've fixed the primary context of the problem by telling ido to display
> buffers in the active frame rather than their current frame if they're
> already displayed, but sometimes it still comes up and bites me
> occasionally if Emacs is a bit slow in responding and I flip to a
> different desktop to look at something while it works and then decides
> it needs to raise the frame.
>
> Looking through customize and with apropos, I cannot find any variables
> I can use to adjust this behavior.
>
> Is there a way I can instruct Emacs to never move a frame from one
> virtual desktop to another?  If it wants to raise a frame on a different
> desktop, marking the frame as urgent (and possibly moving it to the top
> on that desktop) and waiting until I return to the desktop it's on would
> be ideal behavior.
>
> Thanks,
> - Michael

I suspect that this may be a window manager issue rather than an emacs
one - emacs doesn't know anything about virtual desktops or
windows. Window/frame placement is usually the role of the window
manager.

Not sure why you would see the strange behavior with a GTK version and
not the old version, unless its something 'odd' in the way GTK
passes/communicates information to the window manager.

What window manager are you running?

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au