Re: "maximum buffer size exceeded" in 64-bit emacs 22.1.1 (64G RAM)

From: Mike
Subject: Re: "maximum buffer size exceeded" in 64-bit emacs 22.1.1 (64G RAM)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:33:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 25, 6:37 pm, Evans Winner <tho...@timbral.net> wrote:
>     I recently tried opening a 5GB file
>
> It had to happen sometime.  someone opened the complete
> works of... everybody in history concatenated into a single
> file.

Yeah, bioinformatics is like that.  :-)  I imagine there are a lot of
scientific disciplines that have voluminous experimental output.  Not
to mention the CIA...

>     on a 64GB RAM machine
>
> So, uh, is that standard these days?  What kind of machine
> is it?  Where can I get one cheap?

At Wal-Mart, about eight years from now.  Seriously, though--yes, I'm
spoiled, but trying to get things fixed for the poor chaps that will
be following after me.

> But there is an emacswiki page that might be useful[1].
> Perhaps the OS is not really prepared to grant all 64Gb of
> memory to that one process.  Even with 8 bits used for lispy
> things that I didn't really pause to read carefully, I would
> think 64 bit addressing gives you over 7Gb, right?
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsFileSizeLimit

I looked at the page, and like everything else that google turned up,
it seems to be dated.  It would seem that there ought to be a very
straightforward way to get huge buffers on a 64-bit, 64G machine.
It's not an OS issue--I can create 32GB+ strings in Python on this
machine.

I'll send in a bug report and see what that draws.

(Thanks also to Xah for your reply.)

Mike