Emacs23.app menus not working?

From: Jonathan Groll
Subject: Emacs23.app menus not working?
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:17:19 +0200

I have an odd issue with Emacs23.app on OS X that may be as a
consequence of how I built the program or may be a real bug:

/usr/pkg/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -q

is used to launch the program, the menu items at the top of the screen
do not pull down - these are the menu items: "Emacs File Edit Options
Tools Buffers Windows Help". Of these only "Emacs" and "Help" produce
a menu when you click on them. This seems to be regardless of whether
my .emacs is loaded or not (ie. without the -q, or through launching
the program normally in finder).

Is this an issue others experience? If not it may be as a consequence
of how I built the package (from pkgsrc's wip/emacs-current with
PKG_OPTIONS.emacs_current= nextstep), or perhaps it is from aquamacs
being present?

GNU Emacs 23.0.91.1 (i386-apple-darwin9, NS apple-appkit-949.43) of
2009-03-26 on badapple.groll.co.za

Regards,
Jonathan Groll