RE: how to hide the owner name and group name in the dired list?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: how to hide the owner name and group name in the dired list?
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 08:39:14 -0700

> >> when I use C-x C-f, it will open a dir and show the file list,
> >> first col is drwxr-xr-x, 3rd col is file  owner name and group
> >> name, I don't want these, because the file name is in the end
> >> and hardly cannot be see, please tell me how to hide the
> >> useless information.
> >
> >> I have tried the Dired List Switch, I must use the -l option,
> >> this way is dead.
> >
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DiredDetails
>
> Is there any way to hide only file permissions, owner and group
> so I see only file size, date and file name?

Not with Dired Details, out of the box, but you could write it yourself,
starting with the existing Lisp code. See, for example,
`dired-details-make-current-line-overlay', which is what currently hides
everything except the file name.

Or try to fiddle with `ls' switches (depending on your `ls'). Or filter
afterward, as Peter suggested.

Dired Details is enough for me. Just hit a key to toggle - that's what I do if I
want to see specific dates etc. at any time. (If you just want to sort by date,
not caring about the dates of specific files, just use `s' in Dired.)

FWIW - Rob Giardina, who wrote Dired Details, merged it into the Emacs 23 code
in 2007-07, but the change was never committed, AFAIK. RMS asked for comment on
the merged code, but no one ever answered his request (on the list, at least).
The last time I ping'ed emacs-devel about this was 2008-07 - I never got an
answer either.

Last ping:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-07/msg01152.html

Rob's change log and RMS's call for comment:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-07/msg01187.html

Original thread:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-07/msg00226.html