Re: nxhtml and emacs 23

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: nxhtml and emacs 23
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 20:19:13 +0200

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I would be interested to hear from anyone using nxhtml with windows 23.
>>
>> I have a couple of issues cropping up and would be interested in seeing
>> if other people have them.
>>
>> 1) First mixed mode .php file I open is in mixed mode fine.
>> 2) Second is in php-mode with no mumamo mode.
>
> This is because php-mode.el associate .php-files with php-mode. This
> association happens when you load php-mode.el. (Sigh!)
>
> I have tried to find a way to work around this problem. If you look in
> the "nXhtml" submenu under "Tools" there is an entry called "Major
> Mode Priorities" that does this. You have to turn it on however since
> I didn't dare to do that by default.

Well, I would vote that you should. Since if using nxhtml it makes no sense to
open one file in nxhtml mode and then the next in php mode. This was
very frustrating and would surely confuse people - I know it did me and
I spent a long time trying to figure out why :-( (I'm a pretty lousy
elisp programmer unfortunately). And it never used to be the way in
older versions.

> I have taken up this problem on Emacs Devel, but have not had time to
> explain it sufficiently yet. I think it will be much more easy to do
> that once I have got nXhtml working the way it should.
>

>> If I call (majmodpri-sort-lists) this then works "ok" in that I can open more
>> php files and  they are correctly in nxhtmlk-mumamo-mode and not just
>> php-mode.
>
> Ah, yes. That is in principle what I pointed to above.
>

>> The problem I then have is if I try to edit a php chunk. The
>> first key press in the chunk gives something along the lines of
>>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)
>>  rng-after-change-function(529 530 0)
>
> I will try to look into this. Have you reported this as a bug and
> attached a backtrace?

I will send you more details. I will try and reproduce this evening.

>> I would be willing to put some/a lot of time into providing more info to
>> anyone that can help sort this out as I used to rely on nxhtml a lot. As
>> it is I'm not sure if its an emacs 23 thing only so any one else using
>> it, I would love to hear from you.
>
> Sorry for the trouble. I have been to engaged in other trouble to be
> able to work on nXhtml at the moment. I am however working on it, but
> slowly.

Please do :-) It's an excellent mode and I have been a little lost
without it!

Can it work with html 4.01 mode btw or only xhtml versions?

I dumped xhtml recently when I realised how poorly its actually
implemented cross browser and having read this:

http://www.webdevout.net/articles/beware-of-xhtml#broken_xhtml

But for mixed mode editing nxhtml is excellent, but its very broken at
the moment on my system.