Active region not highlighted

From: bernie
Subject: Active region not highlighted
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 18:48:05 -0700 (PDT)

In my installation of GNU Emacs on Windows XP (version 22.3.1), I have
transient-mark-mode set to non-nil, but if I set mark and move point
with the arrow keys on my keyboard the region is not highlighted. If I
use the C-f, C-b, etc keys, then the region is highlighted as I
expect.
I'm too used to using the arrow keys now, so what's different about
the function key and normal key bindings that causes the different
behaviour?