Re: Slow cperl-mode in emacs 22 & 23

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Slow cperl-mode in emacs 22 & 23
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 10:34:31 +1000

Hinrik Örn Sigurðsson <hinrik.sig@gmail.com> writes:

> Same deal with a fresh cvs checkout of emacs.

I've not used cperl-mode for a while, but some points to consider....

1. In one of your posts, you mentioned a reference to cpan. Are you
using a version of cperl from cpan or the one that comes bundled with
emacs?

2. Be careful regarding cperl version numbers. It is a little confusing
as there is one 'fork' of cperl that is bundled with emacs and another
which is maintained by the author. The version numbers are not in sync
(at least they didn't use to be), so it can sometimes be a bit
confusing as to whether your running the latest version or not. Best
thing to do is get the latest version from the author's website

http://math.berkeley.edu/~ilya/software/emacs/

Ilya is a regular contributor to this group, so you may be lucky enough
to get a response directly from the mode author.

3. Note that cperl mode has some pretty advanced features and is quite
customizable. On large files, you may get better resonse if you turn off
some of the options, particularly the 'hairy' ones may have significant
performance impact on a large file. Try turning some of them off and
then re-enabling different bits and see if that helps with the
performance.

4. A 3,000 line perl script sounds a tad scarey. I like perl and have in
the past spent many months working exclusively in perl. One lesson I
learnt was to keep my perl source files as small as possible. I've found
things a lot easier if the code is broken up into your own
modules. Maybe that would help?

regards,

Tim

--