Re: tramp: locate and grep packages

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp: locate and grep packages
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 14:18:08 +0200

Michal <rabbit50@tenbit.pl> writes:

> Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Tramp shall support them, using Emacs 23 / Tramp 2.1. Which versions do
>> you use?
>
> GNU Emacs 23.0.91.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) of 2009-03-19 on localhost.localdomain
>
> tramp-version is a variable defined in `trampver.el'.
> Its value is "2.1.15"

You are right, `locate' is not supported yet. There are two problems in
locate.el, at least. It applies `call-process' instead of
`process-file', and it sets the default direcory of the *Locate* buffer
to "/". I'm a little bit reluctant to change it just now, because people
might expect, that `locate' returns always host local results. One would
need a custom option.

Emacs is in the pretest phase, such a change shall be postponed until
after the release. Maybe you raise a bug report for this.

`grep' seems to work in general. But I have seen that there are problems
in passing globbing parameters, like calling "grep -n -e pattern *".
This you could bypass, if you use `grep-find' instead. I will check,
whether I can find a clean solution in Tramp.

> best regards,
> Michal

Best regards, Michael.