Re: emacs manual

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs manual
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 17:35:16 +0300

> From: Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 09:36:13 -0400
>
> I was just navigating my way back to a point in the Emacs Manual, the
> section, `22 File Handling'.  I did `t', `m' and then typed
>
> file h <TAB>
>
> ``[No Match]'' was the message that I got.
>
> From the top level of the manual, ``Files'' is the name of the section.
> I remembered the last chapter name or section name I'd come across
> (again, `22 File Handling') as I do when I close a book and put it down.

In an Info manual, there are node names and there are section names.
A section name is what you see at the beginning of the section;
"22 File Handling" is an example.  The corresponding node name appears
in the mode line, where you should see "(emacs) Files", which tells
you that you are in the node "Files" of the "emacs" manual.

The `m' command wants a node name, not the name of a section.  More
accurately, it wants the name of a menu item.  Normally, menu items
are just node names, but sometimes they also have an additional menu
entry name.  Here are two examples:

     * Files::                       All about handling files.
     * Multiples: Buffers.           Multiple buffers; editing
                                      several files at once.

The reason the `m' command does not work on section names is because
it looks at the menu entries, not at the list of all the sections in
the manual.  And section names do not appear in the menu entries.