Re: Unexpected find-file behavior in Version 22.3 for Windows

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Unexpected find-file behavior in Version 22.3 for Windows
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 19:15:51 +0200

Am 08.04.2009 um 15:01 schrieb Count Dracula:

A long-standing problem under Linux has been the shell buffer (or
terminal). If I run man in the shell buffer, I get a message that says
that the terminal is not fully functional.

The *shell* buffer is not a terminal emulator. The function terminal- emulator is closer.

If I run gcc, its messages contain what look like octal codes.

You're using an inadequate coding system to display characters like

        [‘]  2018  LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
        [’]  2019  RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
        [‚]  201A  SINGLE LOW-9 QUOTATION MARK
        [‛]  201B  SINGLE HIGH-REVERSED-9 QUOTATION MARK
        [“]  201C  LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK
        [”]  201D  RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK
        [„]  201E  DOUBLE LOW-9 QUOTATION MARK

Set for GNU Emacs environment variables like LANG or LC_ALL to be something like *.UTF-8. The use of ISO 10646 (Unicode) encoded fonts is also recommended.

If I run ls, the filenames I get are surrounded by spurious
characters, mostly square brackets and carets.

You've set up ls to colourise its output. This

    (add-hook 'shell-mode-hook (lambda ()
        (ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on)))

might solve the problem. Otherwise set in ~/.emacs_<login shell> ls to produce clear output with those ANSI Esc codes.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Radio heißt: Erst denken dann reden.