Re: custom keyboard layout? howto redefine keys?

From: nic . d . m . 1
Subject: Re: custom keyboard layout? howto redefine keys?
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 03:18:12 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you very much! I "mixed" your solutions and it worked:

(global-set-key "b" (lambda () (interactive) (ucs-insert "61")))
(global-set-key "a" (lambda () (interactive) (ucs-insert "62")))

Any idea *why* this works? I don't understand it. What is the meaning
of  "interactive" here?

By the way: Is there a possibility to reload the .emacs file without
restarting emacs?

I tried: M-x load-file .emacs but it doesn't work.