Re: bizarre emacs indentation problem

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: bizarre emacs indentation problem
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 21:29:35 +0000

Hi, Luca!

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 04:48:30PM -0700, luca.pamparana@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,

> I have a bizarre emacs indentation problem in the C++ mode. My C++
> settings look as follows:

> (defun my-c++-mode-hook ()
>   (c-set-offset 'substatement-open 0)
>   (setq indent-tabs-mode nil)
>   (setq tab-width 4)
>   (define-key c++-mode-map "\C-m" 'reindent-then-newline-and-indent)
>   (define-key c++-mode-map "\C-ce" 'c-comment-edit)
>   (setq c++-auto-hungry-initial-state 'none)
>   (setq c++-delete-function 'backward-delete-char)
>   (setq c++-tab-always-indent nil)
>   (setq tab-stop-list '(4 8 12 16))
>   (setq c-basic-offset 4)
>   (setq c-indent-level 4)
>   (setq c-continued-statement-offset 4)
>   (setq c++-empty-arglist-indent 4))

> ;; Add all of the hooks...
> (add-hook 'c++-mode-hook 'my-c++-mode-hook)
> (add-hook 'c++-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
> (setq default-major-mode 'c++-mode)
> (setq column-number-mode t)

> As you can see, I have set the substatement open parameter to 0, so it
> should not indent after the statement braces. However, it always
> indents by 1. So, my sample if clause looks as follows:

> if(something)
>  {
>  }

> As you can see, the braces are indented by 1 space. This is driving me
> crazy!

> Does anyone have any idea why I might be getting this?

Yes, indeed.  In a nutshell, "gnu" style imposes a minimum indentation of
1 from column zero.

In more detail, it's in the CC Mode manual, as follows:
(i) Your CC Mode "style" is "gnu" (the default, since you haven't changed
  it).  Styles are explained on the pages "Config Basics" and "Styles".
(ii) "gnu" style imposes a minimum indentation of 1 character FROM COLUMN
  ZERO.  This is to help source code utilities which search for things in
  column zero.  This "1 character" is in user option
  `c-label-minimum-indentation' which is on page "Other Indentation".

You can fix this either by setting the default style to something other
than "gnu" (user option `c-default-style' on manual page "Choosing a
Style"), or by setting `c-label-minimum-indentation' to zero.

As a matter of interest, why are you typing an if-statement in column
zero?  :-)

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).