Re: ncr (numeric character reference) to unicode

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: ncr (numeric character reference) to unicode
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:20:45 -0500

Stephen Berman wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 22:39:43 -0500 "B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> wrote:

But now I find that if I copy-paste from Emacs 23.0.90.1, the Greek letters

αβγδ

appear in Mozilla Tbird (here) in the original order but

Saw this right to left order in Emacs 23:

בִּּרֵאשׁיתבָּרָּאא לֹהִים אלתשָּׁמַיִם וְ אלת הָ ּאָרֶ ׃

Copy-pasted here in Tbird:

׃ ֶרָאּ ָה תלא ְו םִיַמָּׁשתלא םיִהֹל אאָּרָּבתיׁשאֵרִּּב

First line C-c C-v (CUA) here in Tbird:

בִּּרֵאשׁיתבָּרָּאא לֹהִים אלתשָּׁמַיִם וְ אלת הָ ּאָרֶ ׃

And it doesn't matter which direction the Hebrew text is selected in. In fact S-arrow won't move over the Hebrew, character-by-character but it selects the whole line, whether characters are in forward or reverse order and whether cursor starts at left or right.

Ed

is automatically reversed without running the above command on its region. ???
Is there invisible bidi info in the string or is it just the fact that the
characters are Hebrew that causes this?

Presumably the latter.  I guess Thunderbird works like OpenOffice.org,
which also automatically reverses the Hebrew text, and whose Help entry
for "bi-directional writing" says: ,----
| Currently, OpenOffice.org supports Hindi, Thai, Hebrew, and Arabic as
| CTL [Complex Text Layout] languages.  If you select the text flow from
| right to left, embedded Western text still runs from left to
| right. The cursor responds to the arrow keys in that Right Arrow moves
| it "to the text end" and Left Arrow "to the text start".
`----

Steve Berman