Re: An Eclim frontend for Emacs

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: An Eclim frontend for Emacs
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 20:40:39 +0200

"Eric M. Ludlam" <eric@siege-engine.com> writes:

Hi Eric,

>>> No, AFAIK CEDET uses it's own wisent parser generator and its own
>>> grammars.  And even if you get the syntax tree out of that parser,
>>> it's a long way to do something sophisticated with it.
>>
>>As I understand it CEDET has it's own wisent parser, but it can use
>>other parsers too. (I am cc:ing Eric so he can inform us.)
>   [ ... ]
>
> CEDET does support many kinds of parsers.  It has two internal
> parsers, one of which is wisent.  It has two regexp based parsers for
> non-regular files like HTML.  It also uses exuberent ctags to parse
> about 10 other langauges (in CVS).
>
> If there is some external program that can it run and parse files,
> then CEDET can use it.
>
> It is also not just parsers.  If eclim has a tag database, it can use
> that too, as the database backend is completely flexible.  It already
> supports GNU Global and a couple other things.

No, I don't think eclim (which means eclipse) uses some kind of tags
database.  The JDT (Java Development Tools) come with their own
incremental compiler, and using eclim an editor (vim only, currently)
just ask it what the possible completions are at a given offset in a
file (completion is only one feature, basically it can use each and
every eclipse feature).  See

  http://eclim.sourceforge.net/

for details.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Thousands  of years  ago Chuck  Norris  came across  a bear.  It was  so
terrified that it  fled north into the arctic. It  was also so terrified