Re: Annotating Info Pages?

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: Annotating Info Pages?
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 14:00:11 -0700

ipa sounds really good, Xavier.

What I would want, and I wonder if it would be possible, is something
similar that stores in org files.  Not a specific org file, but in
user-chosen locations, and found in a manner similar to
org-registry.el, except that only certain tags like :annotation: make
a match acceptable to find.

The annotations are stored in an org file anywhere in the
hierarchy.  Thus, if you want, annotations on a doctor's web
site can be stored in the entry for that doctor that is in
your org file.  If you visit that web site from any source,
even Google, the mode line says that it is annotated.  Then
you can pull up that entry with a command or toggle the annotations or
RET on a button.

Likewise with files or dired or whatever.  For example, you
can comment org.el or /etc/passwd without having to modify
them.

Then the modeline would indicate the existence of annotations (the
links with or without actual text annotations) and you could go to the
locations in the org files.  And so on.

Here is a list of related packages I have run across.  None does what
I am looking for, but ipa.el looks very interesting.

1 what exists
    1.1 org-annotate-file -- for links to file -- dedicated file
    1.2 org-registry -- finds /all/ links pointing to file -- useful
    1.3 org-protocol -- like org-annotation-helper.  based on it.
looks useful.  work with safari?
    1.4 org-annotation-helper -- for browsers etc.
    1.5 bookmarks -- not org, dedicated file
    1.6 ipa.el -- not org, looks interesting
    1.7 org-pua -- pop up annotations requiring dedicated file
2 what i want
    2.1 i think maybe registry with
        2.1.1 checking for :annotation: tag
        2.1.2 modeline indicator and button
        2.1.3 nice but not nec would be to allow in place buttons like
pua or ipa

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialism is causing death and severe suffering
worse than MS.  Greed is corrupting science into foul nonsense.  Anybody can