java.lang.NullPointerException in Emacs but not in terminal

From: Henri Fischer
Subject: java.lang.NullPointerException in Emacs but not in terminal
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 03:27:44 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all, I'm learning Java with the help of Head First Java. Using
Emacs GUI. I made three classes for the SimpleDotComGame. When I run
main in Emacs I get the NPE. When I run the code from terminal, it all
works fine. The terminal waits for my input (a String value) and then
proceeds as planned. But when I use the Shell Command to run the code
from Emacs, it doesn't wait for my input, returns null and runs into
the NPE (I guess). Why does my code behave like that in Emacs and not
in terminal?

I currently on "Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.6.0, Carbon Version
1.6.0) of 2009-01-03 on seijiz.local".