Re: Notification of new email at gmail?

From: Robert L Knighten
Subject: Re: Notification of new email at gmail?
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 15:55:46 -0700

Robert L Knighten <RLK0@knighten.org> writes:

> I am now using emacs to dirctly send and receive email using gmail as
> the mail server.  This works well except that new mail notification on
> the mode line no longer works as the mail doesn't appear in any file on
> the computer until VM is invoked.  Is there any application available
> that can provide the notification function on the mode line?  I've found
> independent applications that will popup a notification on my desktop,
> but I would much prefer to keep it in the emacs mode line.

Following up on the various replies, I recently switched from using
fetchmail to deliver mail to spool files to simply using VM with pop-ssl
inside Emacs to directly fetch mail from Google.  So before invoking
vm-get-new-mail the mail is only on the Google server.  I can indeed
automatically poll Google, but because this is being done for multiple
accounts spread across a local network that is more costly than just
using fetchmail to deliver to the spool files.  There appear to be other
alternatives, but I haven't seen any of them used in Emacs.  I they
have, that is what I am looking for.

-- Bob

--
Robert L. Knighten