Strange etags behavior.

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Strange etags behavior.
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:20:37 -0400

Hello Everyone,

I'm going through the Emacs LISP Introduction in an attempt to learn
elisp and so far it's going very well.  I'm on the buffer function
exercises and everything was going smoothly until the find-tags
exercise.

I'm on a Windows XP box with the GNU Emacs windows 22.3 distro
installed under my home folder and I'm running it out of Cygwin.  I
don't have anything crazy configured (as far as I know).  The behavior
that I'm seeing is as follows:

1. I had to create the TAGS file in ~/bin/emacs/lisp/ following the
instructions in the etags section of the Emacs info manual (`C-x d
~/bin/emacs/lisp/; M-x compile RET etags *.el RET`).

2. I then visited the TAGS file I just created (`M-x visit-tags-table:
~/bin/emacs/lisp/TAGS`).

3.a. I then attempted to use `M-.` with point beyond copy-to-buffer
(in the *info* buffer) and got `No tags containing copy-to-buffer.`.

3.b. I then used `M-x list-tags: simple-el` and `C-s copy-to-buffer
C-b RET` and quickly got to the function definiton.  I could also go
back to the `list-tags` produced buffer and use `M-.` at
copy-to-buffer and get to the file.  In fact, right now I'm in a temp
buffer and if I go to copy-to-buffer and use `M-.` I get to the
function definiton.

My question really boils down to "What's going on?".

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.