Re: Problem with umlaut printing

From: Timo Myyrä
Subject: Re: Problem with umlaut printing
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 14:34:42 +0300

> Am 03.05.2009 um 19:39 schrieb Timo Myyrä:
>
>> Snippet of my ~/.emacs:
>> (set-language-environment "utf-8")
>> (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
>> (set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)
>> (set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
>
> I'd only use the second setting and provide the environment from which
> GNU Emacs launches with the environment variable LC_CTYPE  pointing to
> some UTF-8 locale.
>
> Another option is to press in *scratch* buffer C-q ä to see what GNU
> Emacs sees as input. Double-check this with the output provided by
> xev.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete
>
> The mathematician who pursues his studies without clear views of this
> matter, must often have the uncomfortable feeling that his paper and
> pencil surpass him in intelligence.
>                               – Ernst Mach

I use same config on Linux and OpenBSD. OpenBSD doesn't use locales so I
specify the options in the config file.

Pressing the C-q ä in *scratch* printed ä on buffer immidiately after
pressing the ä so it seems to work correctly.

xev gives following output:
KeyPress event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0xe00001,
    root 0x125, subw 0xe00002, time 4227595, (61,56), root:(62,57),
    state 0x10, keycode 94 (keysym 0xe4, adiaeresis), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 2 bytes: (c3 a4) "ä"
    XmbLookupString gives 2 bytes: (c3 a4) "ä"
    XFilterEvent returns: False

Timo