Re: Problem with umlaut printing

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Problem with umlaut printing
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 14:10:30 +0200

Am 04.05.2009 um 13:34 schrieb Timo Myyrä:

I use same config on Linux and OpenBSD. OpenBSD doesn't use locales so I
specify the options in the config file.

It's a pity that I am using hardware on which only Mac OS X, a BSD variant, runs, so that I can't test whether this could ease your situation: you can add environment variables from your init file, for example:

(setenv "INFOPATH" (concat "/Applications/Aquamacs Emacs.app/ Contents/Resources/site-lisp/edit-modes/info" ":" (getenv "INFOPATH")))

You can also restrict parts of your init file to be valid only for this or that system type (or better system-configuration or system- name?). IMO set-language-environment should not be used in a non-7 or non-8 bit environment.

Pressing the C-q ä in *scratch* printed ä on buffer immidiately after
pressing the ä so it seems to work correctly.

xev gives following output:
KeyPress event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0xe00001,
    root 0x125, subw 0xe00002, time 4227595, (61,56), root:(62,57),
    state 0x10, keycode 94 (keysym 0xe4, adiaeresis), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 2 bytes: (c3 a4) "ä"
    XmbLookupString gives 2 bytes: (c3 a4) "ä"
    XFilterEvent returns: False

Both are OK. C3 A4 is the UTF-8 representation of ä.

Which of your two systems shows this behaviour? Are you able to compile GNU Emacs 23.0.93 from CVS? It's more of an Unicode Emacs than all Emacsen before.

--
Greetings

  Pete

These are my principles and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                - Groucho Marx