Re: remote file editing over ssh with emacs 22.3.1 on Windows

From: Chris Withers
Subject: Re: remote file editing over ssh with emacs 22.3.1 on Windows
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 09:49:39 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 22:18:07 +0100
From: Chris Withers <chris@simplistix.co.uk>
CC: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Ian Eure wrote:
Emacs 22.3 uses Tramp 2.0.58, and 2.1.x is has been out for a while; you might try upgrading Tramp if you don't want to install Emacs 23.
Where can I get Emacs 23?

  ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/

Thanks, I'm now running 23.0.93.1

Where can I get Tramp 2.1.x?

It's part of the above.

Does Tramp have its own mailing list anywhere?

It certainly does seem to work much better in the newer version of emacs, but one observation and one question:

- with (setq insert-default-directory nil) in my .emacs file, tab completion in the minibuffer to a tramp destination screws up quite frequently.

- how do I sudo to another user on the remote system? I need to do this to edit a lot of the files I'd want to fiddle with...

cheers,

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk