Re: Using only one emacs session

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: Using only one emacs session
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 06:34:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

On May 15, 2:48 pm, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:

> There are good advantages to work as you do, if really you have
> several projects going on in parallel.
>
> In my case, in general I have one emacs used for development,

so you put all your development projects inside the same emacs
sessions...

Do you use anything like session, desktop, window pacakges ?

> and two more, one for erc, and another for gnus.
>
> Since erc and gnus work with the network, sometimes there are delays
> or just time consuming processing in gnus, and since emacs lacks
> threads, it would lock the development buffers.

Ah yes you're right, when the network is down gnus locks the emacs
session where it's running, really annoying.

> So I keep several
> processes to be able to work while gnus fetch articles, etc.  Besides,
> I also use cvs or cutting edge versions of emacs that may crash
> sometimes, so it's good to be able to crash one without losing the
> others.

I think I'm probably going to do the same.

> Now about data sharing across emacs processes, it's not really a
> problem, you can still cut-and-paste between emacs processes,

that's what I'd like to avoid

> or you
> can open the same file, and the emacs processes are careful not to
> overwrite it when you update it from another emacs.
>
> One thing that makes it easy is actually a window manager such as
> ratpoison which allows you to switch from one emacs process to another
> with a key choard.  Instead of doing C-x 5 o to switch to another
> frame, I type C-t n.

ok

thanks