Re: Using only one emacs session

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: Using only one emacs session
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 05:55:57 -0700 (PDT)

On May 15, 7:07 pm, William Xu <william....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
> > The advantage of this is that each emacs can be customized according
> > to the project it tracks: for example project #1 has a peculiar
> > compile command ("make -j4...")  whereas project #2 does "gcc -Wall..."
> > for compiling the project.
>
> For that I would open multiple shell or eshell buffers for them.

not really convenient since to conpile, grep etc... you need to switch
to the shell buffer and type (or retrieve in the history) the peculiar
command.

> > Also I like to have some specific buffer layouts to be easily set so I
> > use the 'window' package: for example I keep in window #2 of emacs #3
> > some buffers doing irc on a specific irc server.
>
> How about `C-x r w' or window-configuration-to-register?

yes, that's one possibility I did evaluate. But the main concern is
that I don't know how to get a list of all registers with a
description for each.

With the 'window' package you can get this list and it tells you for
each window which buffer is open.

> > The drawbacks of that is the multiple instance of emacs: each instance
> > can't exchange data, emacsclient is more difficult to setup...
>
> Why? The traditional emacsclient is rather easy to setup:
>
>   (server-start)
>
> Then,
>
>   $ emacsclient FILE

sure but what if you do (server-start) in each emacs process ?