Re: Accented characters to Firefox: how?

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Accented characters to Firefox: how?
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 17:11:27 -0500

djc wrote:
I'm sure the answer to this must be something simple about encodings, but I haven't figured it out yet. Can you help?

Under Windows I edit text in emacs 22.3.1 with Western European accented characters like ä, ü, ç and Ê, and I want to copy it from emacs to a Firefox mail composition window. But the text appears correct only up to (but not including) the first accented character, and after that is either a series of question marks or else is strangely formatted including question marks. For instance, the text

    ...accented characters like ä, ü, ç and Ê, and...

from the Emacs buffer becomes

    ...accented characters like ??, ?????, and...

How can I make this work properly?

Thanks.

Pete

ä o ë ü á
ä  ë ü áç Ê

Those are copypasted from Emacs 22.3 into Tbird 2.0.0.21 I suspect that you have some kind of default font issue in Tbird. What do you have set in Tools>Options>Display>Fonts and Encodings?? I know that you can copypaste much more exotic characters than Latin-1 out of Emacs 23 into other Windows apps since its internal representation is Unicode.

Ed