Re: remote file editing over ssh with emacs 22.3.1 on Windows

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: remote file editing over ssh with emacs 22.3.1 on Windows
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 22:02:30 +0200

Chris Withers <chris@simplistix.co.uk> writes:

[Sorry for the late reply, I was offline last weeks due to vacations]

> Anselm Helbig wrote:
>> You do it something like this:
>>
>>   (add-to-list 'tramp-default-proxies-alist
>>         '("\\`host.example.com\\'" nil "/ssh:remoteuser@%h:"))
>>
>> And then
>>
>>   C-x C-f /sudo:privilegeduser@host.example.com:/ <RET>
>
> Okay, I haven't tried this, but that's because it appears I need to
> add code to my .emacs file for every username/hostname combination
> that I want to log in to.
>
> Is there no way I can specify both the username to use to log in with
> *and* the username to sudo to as part of the C-x C-f process?

Could you, please, give me an example? I guess Tramp 2.1 could be
configured the way you like. The manual discusses several scenarios
already for exactly this point.

See <http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Multi_002dhops> and the examples
for usage of %u and %h.

> cheers,