Re: Emacs New User Questions

From: notbob
Subject: Re: Emacs New User Questions
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 18:52:42 GMT

On 2009-05-23, Benjamin Badgley <mortecanine@peoplepc.com> wrote:

> I will probably thrashed for asking, is there a way to colorize the
> buffers in a manner similar to Vim?

>From one noob to another:

You can customize the display of types of fonts, colors, etc.  These
style elements are known as "faces" in emacs.  To see what you currently
have, type:

M-x list-faces-display

To change faces, use your menus (F10) and choose options (o), then customize
emacs (0 <-zero), then specific face (f) and finally hit Enter (default all
faces).  This will take you to a buffer with all the fonttype faces options.
Type C-x o to get to the list buffer and scroll down.

Here's a link with some more specifics:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/info2www?(emacs)Faces

Note the Face Cusomization link for more info on the options with each face.

Don't forget to save your changes.

F10 > o > o

When this is done, you can look at your ~/.emacs file and see the change.  I
changed my mini-buffer prompt color.  It now looks like this:

'(minibuffer-prompt ((t (:foreground "cyan3")))))

Now, my change will be in effect anytime I start emacs.  Looks like a good
way to customize things.  Copy n' paste this code and change the face name
and color and away you go.  This is also what lisp code looks like ....and
that's all I know about that!

I have found myself at this website many times when googling for the answer
to an emacs question.  A good learning resource:

http://www.emacswiki.org/

I hope this helps.  I figure if I can do it, anyone can.  ;)

nb