Re: How to get skills in elisp ?

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: How to get skills in elisp ?
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 02:15:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

[thanks for answering]

On May 25, 10:17 am, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:

> Yes, take a look at the manual (in Info, `C-h i') called `Emacs Lisp
> Introduction' in the Info menu. The manual title is actually "An Introduction
> Programming in Emacs Lisp". It's just what you're looking for.

Ok, I did have a look to this but it starts by;

 "This is an `Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp', for people
who are not programmers."

so since I'm a programmer (well I try to be ;) I just skiped the
document.

> When you want to code something, search (`grep') the existing Emacs-Lisp
> source
> code for terms that are pertinent. You can often find code that is similar to
> what you want to do. This is the way to learn about writing code to change to
> different buffer, select a different window, display a buffer, search for
> text,
> replace text, and so on - see how the Emacs developers do it.

yeah that's a good idea.

Is there any way to jump into a function definition (for example by
using tags) when asking for help on this function (C-h f) ?

> > Also I would like to know how people debug their scripts ? Are there
> > any tricks ? For now I just write some forms and evaluate
> > them with 'C-j'.
>
> `C-j' evaluates in the *scratch* buffer. I personally don't use *scratch*
> much.
> I prefer to create an Emacs-Lisp buffer/file, e.g. foo.el, and work in that,
> then throw it away. (My fingers can't think of `C-j' as anything other than
> `newline-and-indent'.)
>
> See also `M-:', `eval-region', and `C-x C-e'. See `debug-on-entry'. Put
> `(debug)' in your code if you want to debug part of a function. Make a
> function
> interactive temporarily, to make it easier to call (`M-x', with completion, vs
> `M-:'). Comment out sections of code using `C-u M-x comment-region' (I bind
> `comment-region' to `C-x C-;').

Ok I'll do, thanks for the tips.

> Ask questions here. Visit Emacs Wiki (http://www.emacswiki.org/). Have fun!

thanks