Re: remote file editing over ssh with emacs 22.3.1 on Windows

From: Chris Withers
Subject: Re: remote file editing over ssh with emacs 22.3.1 on Windows
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 16:40:16 +0100

Michael Albinus wrote:
Is there no way I can specify both the username to use to log in with
*and* the username to sudo to as part of the C-x C-f process?

Could you, please, give me an example? I guess Tramp 2.1 could be
configured the way you like. The manual discusses several scenarios
already for exactly this point.

See <http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Multi_002dhops> and the examples
for usage of %u and %h.

I think I gave the example somewhere else in this thread, but I'd be looking to connect to something like:

/cwithers:root@somehost.somedomain:/blah

Why do I need cwithers? Because my local account is "Chris Withers" on the windows box where emacs lives, and my username on the remote machine is not always the same, it depends on the box (it can be chris, chrisw, cwithers, etc... I don't have control over that)

One other wishlist item would be for tab complete or to be able to build a menu of the common hosts I want to connect to, typing "server1.simplistix.co.uk" is tiresome...

cheers,

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk