RE: How to get skills in elisp ?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to get skills in elisp ?
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 13:52:49 -0700

> > You should always make sure you have a copy of all of the
> > Lisp source code files for the libraries that you use.
> > It's an invaluable help to consult the source
> > code. If you have only the byte-compiled files (*.elc
> > instead of *.el), then go to gnu.org and pick up the
> > source files now.
>
> Agreed.

FWIW, I personally think that it should not be possible (or at least not too
easy) to download just the byte-compiled files. Better to encourage people
("enhanced encouragement techniques"?) to download the *.el files also. They can
always throw them away afterward, if they like. ;-)

I suspect that providing a tar/zip with only byte-compiled files is a holdover
from the days when people used dial-up modems.

No flames please. I'm sure there is a case to be made for a trimmed-down
download (e.g. to a cell phone ;-)). I just think we should find ways to
encourage users, especially newbies, to download the whole shebang instead.