Why would emacs be running on an idle system?

From: D W
Subject: Why would emacs be running on an idle system?
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 09:44:24 -0400

Hello,

I'm a casual emacs user, and I'm puzzled by this:

Yesterday, I noticed that the hard drive was churning away on my idle laptop, even though I wasn't doing anything.

I figured it was just a cron job or something, but for laughs and giggles, I opened an xterm and ran "top".

And at the top of top, I see emacs22 as the top process.

I had no emacs sessions open, and wasn't even using the system.

Any ideas why I would see emacs22 in there or where I should look to find out what might have triggered this?

This is Ubuntu (Xubuntu Hardy).

Thanks,
DW