Re: same-buffer-window-names

From: Sean Sieger
Subject: Re: same-buffer-window-names
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 20:37:34 -0400

    > (nconc same-window-buffer-names '("*Buffer List*"))
    > C-x C-b doesn't give me a single window and *Buffer List* in it.

    Not sure what you're trying to do, but it seems unlikely that you need/want
    use `nconc' here.

I put that elisp (gleaned from this list) in years ago because I thought
it scratched an itch C-x C-b gave me when point didn't `end up' in the
*Buffer List* buffer and said buffer didn't singularly occupy the
window.  To be honest with ya Drew, I'd have to look up nconc right now
to even know what it is.

    My crystal ball divines that this is what you really want:
    (add-to-list 'same-window-buffer-names "*Buffer List*")

Thank you, Drew, doggonit, there's a family of gypsies living in a
`psychic' storefront right across my NYC street that I could have asked,
maybe.  True story (though divining what elisp is might have made them
sweat a little).  I will try your code.

    Or just Customize `same-window-buffer-names'.

Customize bugs me.  I've tried `learning' from it, finding things in it,
and changing my own emacs.

    If order were important (it's not, here), and you wanted *Buffer List*
appended
    instead of prepended, you could use this:
    (add-to-list 'same-window-buffer-names "*Buffer List*" 'append)

Thank you, I have to learn about the variable that I have asked you
about.  Sounds irresponsible, doesn't it, adding elisp to one's dotemacs
without reading up on the elements of the list??