Re: What's the status of the emacs' git repo on savannah

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: What's the status of the emacs' git repo on savannah
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 19:20:34 +0300

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 01:06:26 -0700 (PDT), Francis Moreau
<francis.moro@gmail.com> wrote:
>> and I have pulled changesets from this in my personal Mercurial
>> clone.  The snapshot of Emacs that I built this morning is:
>>
>>   GNU Emacs 23.0.94.1 (i386-unknown-freebsd8.0, GTK+ Version 2.16.2) of
>> 2009-06-04 on kobe
>>
>> So, to the best of my knowledge, a short answer is: ``Yes, you can use
>> the git repository to build recent Emacs snapshots.''
>
> Do you use a specific tag when building a snapshot or do you use a
> random commit ?

I briefly look at the commit logs of the origin/master branch and pick
one that `seems stable'.

This means, of course, that when commits hit the tree with a greater
frequency than now (a pre-release period) the chance of randomly picking
a broken changeset is greater.  But I can live with that.  Most of the
time just merging the latest change of origin/master with my own stuff
and building Emacs just works.