Re: non noisy dired

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: non noisy dired
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 23:28:03 -0400

> Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 19:48:25 +0530
> From: Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com>
>
> I am on windows so every file being prefixed by my name and root is useless.

Not anymore: Emacs 23.1, to be released soon, will display the _real_
owner and group of every file (if you are using a sufficiently new
version of Windows).

> (setq ls-lisp-verbosity nil)
> removed that
> but the rwxrwxrwx
> (which is useless on windows) I cant remove.

It is on my TODO to teach Emacs on Windows to display the _real_
access rights, based on native Windows file permissions.  So this,
too, is going to be _real_ attributes of the files.  Stay tuned.

> If I use
> (setq ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program  t)
> the useless name and group re-appears

When you set this option non-nil, Emacs uses ls.exe to generate the
directory listing, so the control of which file's attributes are
displayed is via the command-line switches passed to
insert-directory-program.  You can use non-default switches by
invoking Dired with a numeric argument -- Dired will then prompt for
the switches.