Re: What's the status of the emacs' git repo on savannah

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: What's the status of the emacs' git repo on savannah
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 17:42:18 +1000

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jun 3, 11:50 pm, Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpia...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > Hello,
>>
>> > I'm wondering if this repo is kept uptodate frequently.
>>
>> > I cloned, compiled and installed emacs from the master branch which
>> > points to this commit: 8e282b1c43fd6768a9ec339f5cb8aefd4d2fc2
>> > Date:   Wed Apr 29 04:46:15 2009 +0000
>>
>> > Asking to the freshly installed emacs its version gives me:
>>
>> > $ emacs --version
>> > GNU Emacs 23.0.92.1
>>
>> > I don't think it is the latest emacs.
>>
>> > Does anybody have any information on this repo ?
>>
>> I think emacs developpers are working actually on the savannah repo.
>> It's better waiting all problems are fixed before (re)installing emacs.
>>

> Can't I use this repo to retrieve pre-release or something like ?
>
> In the repo, there are tags such as: EMACS_PRETEST_23_0_92.
>
> Is it 'safe' to use such revisions ?
>
> Also I saw that some people are using emacs 23.0.94. Where do they get
> this release if it's not in the dev repo ?
>
> thanks

Just to clarify

The savannah server had a hardware fault (disk I think) a few days
back. Unfortunately, due to issues with their backups, they didn't/don't
have a recent backup of many of the source code repositories. Therefore,
they are having to get versions pushed back from developer's own git
repositories (not sure what they plan for the cvs and svn repos).

What this means is that the current repository is likely the one from
the last reliable backup, which I think may have been as far back as
April.

So, my advice would be to wait another few days and see if the
repository becomes more up-to-date.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au