Re: non noisy dired

From: rustom
Subject: Re: non noisy dired
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 05:50:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 5, 9:37 am, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
>         I keep trying to use dired but get put off by the noisy output
>         I am on windows so every file being prefixed by my name and root is
> useless.
>         (setq ls-lisp-verbosity nil)
>         removed that
>         but the rwxrwxrwx
>         (which is useless on windows) I cant remove.
>         If I use
>         (setq ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program  t)
>         the useless name and group re-appears
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DiredDetails
>
> You'll never have to see anything other than the file name, unless you want
> to,
> and you can do that by hitting a toggle key.
>
> Other than that solution, you can control the ls that switches used, for the
> expanded (unhidden) listing, as Eli mentioned.

Drew:
autofit seems to need fit --did that (need to put that in the wiki
mention)
After that emacs does resizing of windows in a way that is
disconcerting (to me :-) -- it made a small file into a window the
size of a matchbox!
But I guess I should be able to use it without fit -- need to try more
thoroughly

Eli:
Well progress is always good to see happening but upgrading/
reinstalling is not always easy/possible (for reasons that are too OT
for here)