columns displayed on one line in frame / window

From: Mickey Ferguson
Subject: columns displayed on one line in frame / window
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 15:01:10 -0700

I have emacs 21.3.1 running on XP SP3.  When I evaluate the _expression_ using M-: (Meta-colon),

    (frame-width)

it returns 72.  However, if I look at the number of columns I can display before the line wraps, it's actually 80.  Isn't frame-width supposed to be the same as the number of columns that can fit on one line?  (I'm using a fixed-width font, specifically

  (set-default-font "-raster-Terminal-bold-r-normal-normal-12-90-96-96-c-*-ms-oemlatin")

Likewise, if I set the frame width with

    (set-frame-width (selected-frame) 72)

it sets up the window so that 80 columns fit on one line.  What gives?  Or is there another function I should use to obtain the number of columns that fit on one line, and likewise, another function to set how many fit on one line?