Re: Emacs on Windows, isn't ~ supposed to be home dir?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Emacs on Windows, isn't ~ supposed to be home dir?
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 06:00:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 5, 6:12 pm, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com>
> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help,comp.emacs
> > Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 10:52:53 -0700 (PDT)
>
> > in emacsW32 on Windows,  “~/” points to
> > “c:/Users/xah/AppData/Roaming/”
> > but i was expecting it to point to:
> > “c:/Users/xah/”.
>
> It is supposed to point by default to whatever CSIDL_APPDATA is set to
> on that machine.  That is, to the `Application Data' subdirectory of
> your user profile directory.  Setting HOME in the environment
> overrides that.  If Emacs does not behave like that, it's a bug that
> should be reported.

Thanks all.

Setting Windows's env var HOME to c:\Users\xah helped. However, it
seems that when emacs starts as server/client, it still loads from “c:/
Users/xah/AppData/Roaming/”.

I vaguely recall similar question asked here recently.

Am not familiar with server/client feature of emacs 23 yet... in
particular, how can i make it so that emacs just have one single dir
for the init files? (or if i should try to do that at all?)

Thanks.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/