Re: utf-8-dos files on Linux

From: bostjanv
Subject: Re: utf-8-dos files on Linux
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 03:14:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 7, 3:12 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 07.06.2009 um 13:17 schrieb Bostjan Vilfan:
>
> >> I can't get rid of the <inverted_v>M characters at the end of
> >> lines in the display. I placed
> >> -*- coding: utf-8-dos-*-
>
> This inverted v is the CARET character ^ or CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT at U
> +005E, which, in combination with other characters, stands in a GNU
> Emacs buffer for display (presentation) of Control-<something>.
>
> The correct syntax would be:
>
>         -*- coding: utf-8-dos; -*-
>
> Notice the final ``;´´ which actually ends the assignment.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete
>
> Almost anything is easier to get into than out of.
>                                 – Allen's Law

Thanks for your help with my Emacs problem. To repeat: The problem was
that it seemed that the "-*- coding: utf-8-dos; -*-" specification in
the first line of a file had no effect. After receiving your posts I
went back to the manual, and it turned out that the Emacs variable
inhibit-eol-conversion was set to a non nil value on my system. After
setting it to the value nil in my .gnu-emacs-custom file, the editing
of dos text files was possible.
Regards,
bostjanv