Re: Vector and List Performance

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Vector and List Performance
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:36:15 +0200

pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

> Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I tested the performance difference and strangely the vector version
>> of my benchmarking is only faster when the number of elements exceeds
>> roughy 1000. Why is this? Shouldn' aref() always be faster than nth
>> regardless of the size of the sequence?
>
> How could we say?  You don't provide the full source of what you tested.
>
> Check my other post in this thread, and see how faster the vector
> accesses are.  Try the same form in your CL implementation, and report
> the results here.

Sorry, I was in my comp.lang.lisp gears.

Just try the same form in emacs and tell us what you get.

In the meanwhile, a guess: you tested the creation of a big list
vs. the creation of a big vector (plus one access).  Study closely my
form, and see what sub-expression is timed.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__