font missing

From: John P. Burkett
Subject: font missing
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 22:16:53 -0400

I've been happily using emacs on a Gentoo-Linux machine for several
years.  The font I liked was specified in my .emacs file with the line
(set-default-font "10x20").
After a recent upgrade of Gentoo, this font specification did not work
as before.  Using the old .emacs file and doing "emacs --debug-init" now
produces a message that starts as follows:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable no)
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/john/.emacs" nil t)  ;
Reading at buffer position 3358
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/john/.emacs" "/home/john/.emacs" t t)
  load("~/.emacs" t t)
  #[nil "

Doing "xlsfonts -l 10x20" at the Gentoo prompt elicits this response:
DIR  MIN  MAX EXIST DFLT PROP ASC DESC NAME
-->    0  255  some    0   23  15    5
-cronyx-fixed-medium-r-normal--20-200-75-75-c-100-koi8-r

Interpreting this as a translation of the nickname 10x20 into the long
name, I edited my .emacs file, replacing
(set-default-font "10x20")
with
(set-default-font
"-cronyx-fixed-medium-r-normal--20-200-75-75-c-100-koi8-r")

With that change done, emacs starts without any error message. However,
the font is not quite the same as the old one. The old font had no
serifs except on the letters i and l, where they avoid confusion with
the number 1.  The new font has serifs on most letters and, to my eye,
looks unnecessarily cluttered.

With emacs running, I tried holding down the shift key and clicking the
left mouse button. That as expected brought up a font menu. Selecting
"Misc 10x20" elicited the response "Font not found."

Suggestions for recovering the old "10x20" font would be appreciated.

-John

--
John P. Burkett
Department of Economics