Re: How do I stop my emacs frame jumping when I enter emacs

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: How do I stop my emacs frame jumping when I enter emacs
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 17:05:45 +0200

Alex Bennee <kernel-hacker@bennee.com> writes:

> 2009/6/11 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de>:
>>
>> Am 11.06.2009 um 15:57 schrieb Alex Bennee:
>>
>>> Has anyone else seen this?
>> What is your windows manager? And version? Also that of GNU Emacs. And what
>> is that windows manager's configuration?
>
> compiz (1:0.7.4-0ubuntu8~ppa1) running on Ubuntu Hardy Gnome desktop.
>
> 15:52 ajb@pitcairn/x86_64 [elisp.git] >emacs --version
> GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1
>
> But why would the window manager get involved? Is ediff creating new
> frames for the hell of it?

Because the window manager gets the opportunity to place the windows
when they're created.

First, the window may be positionned from what defaults are given in
~/.Xresources ; check a line such as: emacs.geometry: 81x71-68+0

Then the window manager may position the window (notably, most window
manager add decorations above the window (eg a title bar) so it will
actually move the windows down by the title bar height).  Often it's
not visible, because it's done before drawing the window, but you can
see it if you open the window before starting the window manager.

Finally, ~/.emacs may contain expressions to move and size the frames.
Yes, from emacs lisp it's not "window" anymore but "frame" we're back
on the right side of the mirror here :-)

So you can avoid jumping by giving consistent positions and sizes in
all these places, or by removing the later sizing and positionning.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__