Re: utf8 char display in buffer

From: ken
Subject: Re: utf8 char display in buffer
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 18:23:09 -0400

On 06/12/2009 01:53 PM Xah Lee wrote:
> On Jun 12, 7:54 am, ken <geb...@mousecar.com> wrote:
>> B) It would be helpful if the code which does the decoding of a file and
>> renders it into the buffer display, if that part of it would throw an
>> error message when it encounters a character it doesn't know how to
>> display, i.e., when a little box character is displayed. After all,
>> isn't it an error when a little box is displayed in lieu of the correct
>> character? Possible error messages would be something like: "decoding
>> process can't find /path/to/charset.file" or "decoding process doesn't
>> have requisite permission to read /path/to/charset.file" or "invalid
>> character: [hex/decimal value]" or other.
>
> some thought process in the above is not correct.

Yet emacs puts a little box in the place of a character it cannot find
(or, per your explanation) possibly confused about.  The fact remains
that the little box is not a correct rendering of the code.  It is an
error... at least it is for me, because that's not what I typed in.  So
it is an error.  As an error, there should be a corresponding error
message, hopefully one (or more) which would help diagnose the problem.
 It seems obvious that, given the long thread on this issue with no
resolution, we could use some help-- like an error message-- which would
help in diagnosis.

Thanks for the information and the links though.