Re: Cannot use normal save (C-x C-s) when operating over network mount

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Cannot use normal save (C-x C-s) when operating over network mount
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 16:46:33 +1000

Kim Christensen <kim.christensen@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jun 12, 1:12 pm, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Kim, what version of Emacs are you using? Does this happen with
>> pretest Emacs 23?
>
> Hi Lennart,
>
> I grabbed the latest version from CVS (23.0.94.1), still the same
> issue.
>
> Here is the (possibly) related gedit bug I mentioned earlier:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/sambaserver/+bug/34813
>
> It seems that the problem is gedit trying to rename a file which has
> an open file descriptor, which is not supported on (some) non-Linux
> filesystems as is the case with SMB/CIFS. Maybe this is the case with
> Emacs too? I'm not too much of a wizard to check the behaviour
> myself :-)

I edit data on a remote windows server by mounting a partition locally
using smbfs.

I have only ever had problems with saving files when either my quota has
been exceeded or the windows service running the quota software has
stopped running or got stuck.

I know nothing about windows, but when I asked the windows admins what
was going on, I was somewhat surprised regarding how the quota software
seems to operate under windows. I don't know what the software is, ut I
believe it is some third party software.

At any rate, I get similar errors/behavior to what you have outlined
when there are issues with the disk quota software is playing up.

My suggestions would be

1. Check there are no quota or space issues on the remote system. Keep
in mind there often needs to be twice your file size space available to
handle temp files etc. (which reminds me, where is emacs putting its
backup files?).

2. Run emacs in bare bones mode using emacs -q and emacs -Q to make sure
that its not something in your customization or site wide customization
that is breaking things. Just try editing a small file and saving it -
do it in fundamental mode rather than a special purpose mode, just in
case it is something with the mode that is causing the problem.

3. Try editing the file with tramp and see if you get the same issue

4. Try editing the file with vi/nano/pico/whatever and see if there are
any problems. This may help to determine if its an emacs issue, a file
mount issue or a windows/smb issue

HTH

Tim

--