Re: How do I stop my emacs frame jumping when I enter emacs

From: jpkotta
Subject: Re: How do I stop my emacs frame jumping when I enter emacs
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 13:22:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 11, 10:15 am, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@web.de> wrote:
> Am 11.06.2009 um 16:53 schrieb Alex Bennee:
>
> > But why would the window manager get involved? Is ediff creating new
> > frames for the
> > hell of it?
>
> Yes, it is! At least one very small one (one-liner), which you can
> make bigger and then see how to work with ediff (it's some time ago
> since I last used it, usually a compare-windows is sufficient for me).
>

>From http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EdiffMode

By default ediff spawns a new frame to display files to be compared or
merged. But I found it is less usable than use selected-frame to
operate on. Also it splits window vertically to display files and I
found it hard to perceive provided information in such way. Horizontal
split is more attractive for me.

To make ediff operate on selected-frame add next:
    (setq ediff-window-setup-function 'ediff-setup-windows-plain)

Unfortunately, there seems to be a bug in my particular version of
Emacs 22.2.1.  It is fixed in Emacs 23, possibly in some version of 22.